Saturday, October 2, 2010

Attack of the Munchies

You know you're running again when your appetite goes haywire. Or at least I do. Last night, my body felt the need to wake me up at 2:00am and demand food. I hope it didn't expect a gourmet meal, because it got cereal. That's about as much effort as I'm willing to put in at 2:00 in the morning anyway, especially when I have to wake up for work in the morning. Usually my body saves late night surprises like that for 100 mile weeks. I'll probably be just above 40 this week, so I don't know what its problem is. The obvious answer would be that I didn't eat enough during the day, but I ramped up how much food I'm eating now that I'm running again, and it's not really like I cut back much (or at all, really) when I stopped running. Plus I had an emotional eating Kashi version of Frosted Mini Wheats feast yesterday evening, so it wasn't like I went to bed hungry (I swear I do eat foods other than cereal...and if we're going to get technical, it was more a bored eating feast more than true emotional eating). Probably just a side effect of the gradual mileage increase (again, emphasis on gradual).

I read a lot of running blogs, and IANandJULIA.com has a really good post on how it feels to come back to running after time off. I tried to describe the awkward relearning how to run once before, but Julia does it a lot more eloquently than I did. Luckily I've gotten past that stage now and for the most part, feel like a runner again.

2 comments:

  1. You wake up just because you're hungry? I have trouble falling asleep when I'm hungry, but I usually only wake up to use the bathroom. Or randomly when it's the night before a race :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must be a light sleeper. I'll wake up to go to the bathroom (sometimes...other times I have dreams where I really have to pee and either can't find a bathroom or still have to pee after using the bathroom, and this goes on until I finally do wake up), but I also wake up when I'm hungry enough. And yeah, night before a race is definitely a no-sleep night.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...