Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Running Playlist

The big news today is the new Boston qualifying standards. Kudos to the B.A.A. for taking action so that there's not a repeat of 2010 in the future. I think rolling registration is the fairest way to go. I know a lot of people are upset about the standards being tightened, to which I say, train harder! It'll make you a better runner, I promise. Anyway, I've ranted on marathons enough in my last post, so I'll refrain from commenting any further on the Boston situation.

I feel like I wrote a lot of heavy stuff lately, and I feel like putting up something fun.



I've had a racing playlist for as long as I can remember. I don't run with music, but I listen to it before races to help me get my mind in the right place. My playlist used to change every year, until sophomore year indoor track, when I somehow decided one of my playlists was lucky. Since then, the first five songs have remained the same, becoming my standbys that just get me stoked for racing. I used to listen to Social Distortion's "Reach for the Sky" on the way down to the fieldhouse on race days, and the rest got played while I was putting on my spikes or finishing my warmup. I still make sure to listen to those five as I'm driving to races and putting on my flats, and if I can help it, Bad Religion's "Sinister Rouge" is the last song I listen to before the gun. Of course, I've messed this up a few times, with both good and bad results (a good example being the fiver I referred to in my last post, when I was with my friend Molly and was talking to her instead of listening to music, a bad example being an indoor track 5000m in Kent, OH where they were playing Queen as I was standing on the line and I blew up and ran horribly...not actually Freddie Mercury's fault, though I sometimes like to blame him). All five songs have great fast beats to get my adrenaline flowing, and I don't really listen to those songs outside of race days anymore because, in my mind, they're intimately linked with racing. The other stuff I listen to after I've listened to my standard race day playlist, and they change according to my mood and current musical taste. Some of it's inspirational (to be fair, in a twisted way, but c'mon, "Indestructible?" Hell yeah!), some of it has a beat that gets me ideally aroused (in the sports psychology sense, not the sexual sense), and some of it I just like for whatever reason.

Here's the current stuff, with my standby stuff starred:

*Social Distortion - "Reach for the Sky" (Sex, Love 'n' Rock and Roll)
*Alkaline Trio - "Armageddon" (From Here to Infirmary)
*Bad Religion - "American Jesus" (Recipe for Hate)
*Social Distortion - "Don't Drag Me Down (White Light, White Heat, White Trash)
*Bad Religion - "Sinister Rouge" (The Empire Strikes First)
All that Remains - "Two Weeks" (Overcome)
Arch Enemy - "Nemesis" (Doomsday Machine)
Avenged Sevenfold - "Afterlife" (Avenged Sevenfold)
Avenged Sevenfold - "Almost Easy" (Avenged Sevenfold)
Avenged Sevenfold - "Chapter Four" (Waking the Fallen)
Disturbed - "Indestructible" (Indestructible)
Jimmy Eat World - "Pain" (Futures)
Metallica - "Master of Puppets" (Master of Puppets)
The Offspring - "The Kids Aren't Alright" (Americana)
Shinedown - "Devour" (The Sound of Madness)
Sixx:AM - "Life is Beautiful" (The Heroin Diaries Soundtrack)
Slayer - "Angel of Death (Reign in Blood)
Slayer - "Raining Blood" (Reign in Blood)
Slipknot - "Wait and Bleed" (Crows)
Rise Against - "Prayer of the Refugee" (The Sufferer and the Witness)
Rise Against - "Savior" (Appeal to Reason)

Got any music you need to listen to before you race? Or any suggestions for me?

5 comments:

  1. The Cave - Mumford and Sons. I know how inspirational you think that song is. I don't even want to know what that says about me and running, psychologically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Cave, eh? I can understand that. It's got the inspirational factor and it picks up nicely throughout the song. And a great song! :)

    Okay, so I originally suggested one already on your list...haha

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...