Sunday, February 24, 2013

Comments

Alright guys, I need some input. I've had a serious comment spam problem lately, and I'm deleting over 20 comments worth of spam per day. So I've changed the comments to needing word verification. I hate word verification because I feel like you can never read the words that they want you to copy, but the only other option is only allowing registered users to post, and I've had some good anonymous comments in the past. Comment moderation isn't an option because then I have the exact same issue...weeding through comments to see what's legit and what's spam. We're all busy, and I don't have time for spammers. So I'm going to ask my readers...what say you? Leave it with word verification or change it to registered commenters only? Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. Do you use the Askimet plug-in to monitor spam comments? That should help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same issue! I also hate word verification so I ended up going with the option of registered users only can comment. It's too bad and I've definitely seen a decrease in the number of comments on the blog, and I've gotten emails from readers saying they can't comment anymore because of it.. I wish that issue would get resolved by Blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, congrats on being a big enough deal to get a lot of spam.

    Second, I don't mind the word authentication. It can be tricky sometimes, but it gives you multiple bites at the apple. And I love apples.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say leave it as word verification. It's not that big of a deal. I am ok with typing two extra words (well, assuming I get it right the first time).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or apparently one word as in this case. What's a panagor?

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the input, guys!

    Akismet looks to be Wordpress specific..wonder if there's a Blogger equivalent. I'll look into it this weekend when I have some more time.

    And thanks Alex, totally going to look at it that way hah.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...