Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 in Review

Seeing as it's New Year's Eve, I decided to do a look back over the past year.

Mileage this year was looow. 2546 miles for an average weekly total of 59.2. Weak in comparison to 2009's 4362 (average week was 83.9). To be fair, last year was a healthy year for me, and I only took off somewhere between 5 and 6 weeks. This year, on the other hand, my year pretty much ended in early August (I had 2368 logged as of August 12th). It would probably be comparable if I measured overall training since I logged a lot of hours on the bike, but I don't feel like counting up cross-training for the past two years and I don't do the whole virtual miles thing.

Racing this year was hit or miss. The race I was actually happiest with was a 5 miler in Valley Forge that I did during marathon training. Not because the time (31:42) was fantastic, but because I ran it during marathon training and the course had some decent rollers. My spring peak race was my first marathon, the Frederick Marathon. My time there was wholly unimpressive (3:14:49), though in my defense, it was the first hot day of the year (meaning all of my training was done in more moderate conditions), and the temperature at the finish line was 87 degrees. That time also won the race, so I guess the heat crushed everyone (to be fair, it was a pretty small race with only a couple hundred runners). I had managed to stay on my goal pace (6:50's) up until mile 17, which was where the hills began and the sun came out full force, and I died hardcore. The fact that I hit the wall so early, combined with my performance in Valley Forge a month earlier, leads me to believe that my training was most likely too VO2 max focused and I should have done more marathon-specific training (or raced a half). I didn't have a fall peak race due to the tendon issue.

2010 also marked one more thing...that was the change in the Pegasus. I've worn that shoe since 2002 and all of a sudden it fits me differently and the ride is weird. And then my hip flexor died, which caused a chain reaction that messed up my tendon. Why, Nike, WHY??? :(

Here's to hoping 2011 will be better...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...