Sunday, July 21, 2013

Homecoming Weekend at New York Chiropractic College

This weekend (well, all of last week, really) was homecoming at New York Chiropractic College, and seeing as we have no football team, it was a week for networking, continuing education for alumni, and getting current students thinking about their professional career. So here's the deal: This is my brand-new LinkedIn account. You can also click on the picture below. I want to make a career out of treating athletes...people like you guys. I want to help you squeeze every last bit of performance possible out of your body, and I want to help you keep your body running like a fine-tuned machine so you can keep doing the things you love, whether it's competing at a high level, getting that new PR, finishing your first 5K, or getting back out there after a tough injury. I've been that person who was told that my running was done, yet I just ran 101 miles last week. I want to help you do that too. So I want to network with you.


Second order of business is a question for you. This weekend, I talked to a lot of people about different treatments available for both prehabilitation and rehabilitation for patients (athletes in particular!). Many of them are working off of similar principles, though obviously there are small differences to differentiate each of them. I want to know how important a name is to you. For example, I use both Graston Technique and Active Release Technique (A.R.T.) as part of my prehab. Are you loyal towards a specific technique, or are you eager and willing to try new treatments that are based off of similar principles? Put another way, if you've had Graston work for you in the past, are you more likely to search for Graston providers in your area, or are you more likely to get recommendations for good healthcare providers, and then utilize whatever their treatment of choice (assuming it does the same job, like ConnecTX or FAKTR?). Please let me know in the comments. Thank you!

One final order of business: my friend Brendan maintains a blog that actually talks about what goes on in chiropractic school, if this post piqued your interest and you're curious about that aspect of my life (since this blog tends to focus mainly on running and running gear).

4 comments:

  1. I try to find a doctor who has experience multiple techniques. So many doctors turn into "technicians" in my opinion where they get used to doing the same three manipulations on everyone rather than really trying to figure out the issue at hand with each person. Not every injury needs graston. Not every injury needs acupuncture...and it should be the medical provider's job to figure out which is needed (and whether they offer it) rather than the patient's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Molly, great input. I probably should have clarified...Graston, ConnecTX, and FAKTR would all be indicated for the same condition, so there's no need for a practitioner to have all three. So they would, for example, have ART, McKenzie, DNS, and then either Graston, ConnecTX, or FAKTR in their toolbox.

      Delete
  2. I have never used a doctor who wasn't a referral. Their personality and knowledge are the biggest considerations. I think graston has its place, but I don't like it when that's the go-to - you better have strong hands and actually feel what's going on with my muscles first! -Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Nicole! Interestingly enough, I've talked to several practitioners who say it's easier to "feel" what's going on with the tool than with their hands, though for myself, I'm leaning towards getting the ART certification too (which is a manual soft tissue therapy that uses your hands), and there's a good chance I may take a Nimmo class (another manual trigger point therapy using your hands. Good point on the referral too...all the certifications in the world are meaningless if you don't know your stuff, and what better way to find out who knows what than to ask patients?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...