Monday, November 8, 2010

P90X

I waste way too much time at PT talking. Well, today the subject of conversation was BeachBody's P90X, since PT Fran said that a lot of the exercises from P90X would be good for strengthening weak stabilizer muscles because I have no balance. PT Anthony seemed to agree that it was a good idea and also mentioned Insanity, but P90X seemed to get more votes and Insanity seems to involve a lot more jumping around, so P90X it is. Though now that I think about it, that probably means Insanity is better for cardio, but it's a little late for that now.

So, Day 1 of P90X involved Chest & Back and Ab Ripper X. Everything got put on my iPod because there's no TV in the weight room (aka the unfinished storage of the basement), which makes it interesting since I'm constantly juggling the iPod while trying to work out. No pull up bar, so I get to make do with the I-beam that goes across the ceiling. Anyway, I got my butt kicked. After like the third exercise, I had to revert to girlie push-ups and assisted pull-ups with a chair. Hmm, remember how junior year I could do 14 overhand pull-ups no problem? Well, maybe not totally no problem since there was some kipping at the end, but still, 14 pull-ups was not bad. Yeah well, so much for that, because apparently 90 mile weeks aren't good for maintaining any sort of upper body muscle. Ab Ripper X was less disastrous, but still pretty pathetic. Anyway, this plan will likely disappear as soon as I can resume running, since there's no way that it's compatible with real running training. So hopefully it'll be P(short number of days)X, since I'll be sad if I can't train for 90 days. If, and that's a big if, it even lasts that long. But for now, it'll give me something else to mix it up with instead of being on the trainer all the time. Also the nutrition plan will be completely ignored since my body doesn't run on 1500 calories or whatever miniscule number they give you. Screw that, no can do.

On an amusing note, I can't help but be reminded of the BeachBody coach that talked to hit on my friend Molly and I at the Frederick Marathon expo. Honestly, he wasn't a bad looking guy, but Molly rebuffed his advances and later explained that she "doesn't go for guys whose bodies aren't as good as [hers]." Molly kicks so much ass I cannot even describe it.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! I do Ab Ripper X every week. A good challenge. At the start I couldn't do it all but now I can do all the exercises pretty consistently. I do think some are a little weird. Climb your leg?

    You should read: http://steve-edwards.blogspot.com/2010/10/return-of-gadfly-inside-dope-at.html Steve works for beach body, is a badass, and helps design the workout programs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.

    Yeah I have no idea what's up with climb your leg, and I don't think I was doing that one right anyway. But I'm sore today, something my normal lifting routine hasn't done for me in a while, and it's giving me something else to shake up my workouts with instead of the usual, so we'll see how it goes. It's pretty intense, I like it thus far (all two days of it haha).

    ReplyDelete
  3. insanity or Insanity? There's a difference. Or is there? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Capital Insanity as in the Beachbody workout. Lowercase insanity would refer more to my 27.5 hours of working out two weeks ago, which didn't involve any Beachbody workouts. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...