Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Focus on the Details

Had an awesome workout today. It was a long track workout that mixed VO2 max with LT training. It was one of those days when everything just flowed, and a workout that, by all rights, should have kicked my butt, instead felt pretty easy. But as I'm sitting here, basking in post-workout happiness and drinking my protein shake, I'm reminding myself I need to keep it in perspective. First and foremost, it was a tough enough workout that I really need to make sure I recover well from it, even if it didn't feel that hard. No one gets faster from doing hard workouts. Rather, we get faster recovering from hard workouts. It's something I really need to focus on, since I generally enjoy putting in a lot of miles on recovery days, and even though I take those miles very easy, a 14 mile day isn't always what my body truly needs to recover. That leads to the second point, which is that no one trains for workouts. Everyone loves a good workout. It feels great (in a perverse sort of way), it gives you confidence, et cetera. But each workout is just a step in a long road leading to the true goal: the race. I'm stoked about this workout, as I feel I should be. But at the same time, I don't want to become too excited, just as I need to be careful not to let a bad workout get to my head, something that, for me, is even harder than not bouncing off walls over a good workout. I need to let the workout motivate me, but also stay focused on the goal.

So where does that leave me now? Well, to quote my college coach, it's time to "Focus on the details." I admit, in the past, I haven't always been good about this. I hardly ever stretch, my sleeping schedule is downright stupid, I sometimes put off refueling until after showering (and checking my email, and updating my training log, etc), I don't bother with ice until it's too late, and I only remember to self-massage when there's something good on TV. However, recently I've been making a conscious effort to eat sooner post-run and use the Stick more often. I iced and stretched after the workout today, and anyone who knows me can tell you that's a pretty big deal. Now, that means it's now time to make some more food and then have a date with the Stick (and Smallville DVDs, because old habits die hard), and hopefully get to bed at a reasonable time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...